Thursday 29 October 2015

My Second DIY Project

Nelson Pass DCB - 1 Preamplifier




This is a DC coupled buffer preamp based on the design by the great Mr.Nelson Pass. The PCB & Power Supply is designed by HiFiVision Forum Member Mr. Om Mishra. The device consist of a 15-0-15 R-Core Transformer, a power supply & a preamp PCB. 

The preamp has got single input & output with a stereo volume pot. All components are sourced from the finest manufacturers in the world by another HFV forum member Mr. Sachin.I have housed the electronics in a GI case. The power supply is connected with a PC socket. A cheap on/off switch with LED is used as a power switch. The RC sockets are from MX.

Costing.
Switches & Sockets - Rs.50
R Core Transformer - Rs.800/-
Power supply & Amp. PCB with stereo pot - Rs.3200/-

My brother in law helped me in soldering as i am a novice when soldering is concerned. The amp became ready in 4 hours flat & started singing immediately after that. People say that it requires at least 50 Hours break in period so i am waiting to over that.

Listening impressions.
The preamp is not completely broken in so it will be injustice to comment on that but still i will write about my initial impression.
The amp has got unity gain so i have to adjust the gain of my preamp to the fullest to hear something of the speakers. The amp is behaving nicely with good separation & tonal balance. But i am little disappointed with the sound signature. What i get out of my DAC is completely imbalanced by the preamp. due to its unity gain property. The volume level drastically comes dowm when i bring this preamp in to picture. I have to use an equiliser which incidently has got gain switch to counter that. I keep the equiliser at the flat position adjust the gain of equiliser then i can control the sound from the preamp.
In all till now it is a very big disappointment for me. But lets see how it fares after it is completely broken in.





No comments:

Post a Comment